Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Make a garment a month- A Tilton pattern for wovens

I've joined the Make a Garment a Month (henceforth called MAGAM) Facebook group!  It's a collective effort to, as you might guess, make a garment a month, sometimes with a bit of challenge or a theme thrown in.  This month the challenge is a new technique or garment type. I would say that this Butterick pattern (Katherine Tilton: Butterick 6101) meets those criteria for me, because although I've sewed many Tilton patterns, they've all been for knits, so I am uncertain about the sizing and ease for this pattern.  

To date I have cut out the pattern pieces in size large, which matches my measures, at least in bust and hip. I am using some remnant cotton shirting, a fine plaid, and mixing in a floral print to make up for not having quite enough fabric.  According to the most recent Threads Magazine, the best effect of mixing fabrics like sthis comes when you stay in the same color family.  We'll see.

Back soon with picture of the fabric and perhaps my sewing room....


1 comment:

  1. Hi, Kate,
    Thanks for your nice comments about my new CLD wool column. In order to pretreat light weight wools like this (or any wool, really), I just steam press. After I wear it, of course, it has to be dry cleaned. Hope this helps.

    BTW, I will look forward to seeing your version of this Katherine Tilton pattern. I love that pattern but have not made it up yet. Yours sounds like fun!

    Martha

    ReplyDelete